The Astros Connection
I'm an Astros Fan!
But there was a time when I was an Astros' employee.
When Paul and I married, the Program Director at KPRC Radio thought it was not a good idea to have a station secretary married to someone who worked at another station, so I was demoted.
I didn't like being demoted so I marched back to the engineer's office and asked KPRC/Astros engineer Bob Green if there were any openings in the Astros broadcast office. Turns out there was one because the longtime production coordinator had just adopted a baby and they hired me.
Working for Dick Blue and Bob Boyne was a great experience. Being around five very different broadcasters; Gene Elston, Loel Passe, Harry Kalas, Rene Cardenas and Orlando Sanchez Diago was a trip.
And, speaking of trips, one of our Spanish Language sponsors was Aeronaves de Mexico, and one of our perks was free trips. Paul and I took a tequila trip that stopped in Monterrey, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta and finally Acapulco. It was wonderful. We had a great time and it definitely started my love affair with Mexico.
That was 1968 and the airport in Puerto Vallarta was a thatched hut!
We enjoyed Mexico so much that we came back several times, including a visit to PV at a hotel called Posada de la Selva, which was beside the beach and a dreamy place.
When Mother, Daddy and Royce moved to Ajijic in the 70's we flew down to drive them home as Dad's health was failing. We came back another time, even after our divorce and enjoyed Mexico City and again, Acapulco.
So I'm sitting here in Puerto Vallarta, thrilled to see those Astros winning.
Go 'Stros!
But there was a time when I was an Astros' employee.
When Paul and I married, the Program Director at KPRC Radio thought it was not a good idea to have a station secretary married to someone who worked at another station, so I was demoted.
I didn't like being demoted so I marched back to the engineer's office and asked KPRC/Astros engineer Bob Green if there were any openings in the Astros broadcast office. Turns out there was one because the longtime production coordinator had just adopted a baby and they hired me.
Working for Dick Blue and Bob Boyne was a great experience. Being around five very different broadcasters; Gene Elston, Loel Passe, Harry Kalas, Rene Cardenas and Orlando Sanchez Diago was a trip.
And, speaking of trips, one of our Spanish Language sponsors was Aeronaves de Mexico, and one of our perks was free trips. Paul and I took a tequila trip that stopped in Monterrey, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta and finally Acapulco. It was wonderful. We had a great time and it definitely started my love affair with Mexico.
That was 1968 and the airport in Puerto Vallarta was a thatched hut!
We enjoyed Mexico so much that we came back several times, including a visit to PV at a hotel called Posada de la Selva, which was beside the beach and a dreamy place.
When Mother, Daddy and Royce moved to Ajijic in the 70's we flew down to drive them home as Dad's health was failing. We came back another time, even after our divorce and enjoyed Mexico City and again, Acapulco.
So I'm sitting here in Puerto Vallarta, thrilled to see those Astros winning.
Go 'Stros!
Comments
Post a Comment