This week I began my life in Mexico!

On Thursday, September 28th I left Tyler, Texas, where I have lived for the last six years.
I drove to Tarpley, Texas, to spend the night with my grandson, Clayton Wooldridge, his wife Courtney and their darling son, Cayden and beautiful daughter, Capri.  It is a most beautiful ranch with astounding exotics and spectacular scenery.  We had a good visit. Great-grandchildren are a special gift.


On Friday I drove from Tarpley, did customs stuff for self and car at Nuevo Laredo.  The new Colombia crossing is a breeze, new, well designed and not busy at all.  I now have a six-month visa and so does my car.  We must both renew in March.  The toll road (cuoda) to Monterrey is so safe and easy.  I spent the night in Saltillo, which many friends have long enjoyed.  Me, not so much. Traffic was not well directed ... it was a bad time to get there.  The inexpensive hotel was adequate but sort of like Motel Six, no frills.

My Saturday drive provided the first of many spectacular views.  Mountains, mountains and more.
Roads are easy to drive, well explained signage.  No problemos, at all.

Saturday night I spent in a "boutique hotel" in Leon.  Once I figured out how to get in the gate it was delightful.  The concierge directed me to a good restaurant on the square and I loved the whole place.  Beautiful church with an amazing statue of JPII, many musicians, street performers and fancy stores. My food was wonderful and I came away very impressed with the city.  I'd heard about it for many years because that is where Chevrolet built a ton of their Suburbans.


Before continuing, I have to show you a couple of my favorite road signs.  There were so many good ones that if I'd stop to shoot them all, I'd still be travelling.



















Long day of driving, but the easiest was across all of Guadalajara in the left most lane.  I never slowed nor stopped all the way across.  I find Mexican roads brilliantly executed for the most part.  It is a huge city and it was so easy. Then came hours of spectacular mountains, around and over up and down ... it was gorgeous but not quick.  Tremendous variety of greenery, outcroppings and tiny towns.  By the time I got to the coast I was exhausted and it was a couple more hours to PV.
Just before I reached my part, Old Town, came gullywashers of rain.  Just to park and unload was a challenge.

Day four ended with me sleeping in my bed in Puerto Vallarta, on V. Carranza, just five blocks from the beach.  


This is going to be fun!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to figure out how to live the rest of my life...

One Week

I Have Decided...