I Have Decided...
I have decided to accept old age.
An upside to growing old alone is that nobody is watching.
I recall being stunned one day by catching a glimpse of my Mom’s eighty years plus body. Everything, even if you’re thin and trim, looks awful.
I used to crow about being flat chested. Ha, even tiny boobs droop.
Turns out that walking four or five miles a day can result in excruciating leg and foot cramps. I’m cutting back to a mile or two.
Pretending you can still hike difficult mountain trails to see spectacular waterfalls? Forget about it! No more will I be tempted to attempt such challenges.
Some of my decisions will be tough ones. I have enjoyed trucking around this beautiful part of Mexico. But some of my choices have been ill thought out. Want to hike from Quemixto to Las Animas? Um, nope. How about up to see the stunning Mismaloya waterfalls. Uh, hell no. Even if you keep telling me this is the last hill, Jorge! El ultimo cerro, no.
With the loss of “my last boyfriend” I’m fairly certain that only medical professionals and undertakers will ever see me naked. That in itself is freedom. Mirrors could go too.
I am so grateful to have lived into an eighth decade. In fact I’m sort of proud of it. On the other hand I’m
not out to set any records. I do not fear dying. I do fear painful, debilitating illness or injury. So I will become more careful. I will check in regularly with my fabulous doctora, even by email!
I will always wish I’d get a chance to see my family and friends just one more time. Four kids, eleven grandkids and currently seven great grands. Thank goodness for social media! If any of them post pictures and stories I get to see them. Friends have visited me as well and if the current situation ever improves I think some will again.
What I really must learn is how much of what I want or like or even need is out of my control. There, I’ve said and I will continue to learn it. Old age is a gift. Accepting the facts about it is an ongoing lesson. Not fun, but necessary.
An upside to growing old alone is that nobody is watching.
I recall being stunned one day by catching a glimpse of my Mom’s eighty years plus body. Everything, even if you’re thin and trim, looks awful.
I used to crow about being flat chested. Ha, even tiny boobs droop.
Turns out that walking four or five miles a day can result in excruciating leg and foot cramps. I’m cutting back to a mile or two.
Pretending you can still hike difficult mountain trails to see spectacular waterfalls? Forget about it! No more will I be tempted to attempt such challenges.
Some of my decisions will be tough ones. I have enjoyed trucking around this beautiful part of Mexico. But some of my choices have been ill thought out. Want to hike from Quemixto to Las Animas? Um, nope. How about up to see the stunning Mismaloya waterfalls. Uh, hell no. Even if you keep telling me this is the last hill, Jorge! El ultimo cerro, no.
With the loss of “my last boyfriend” I’m fairly certain that only medical professionals and undertakers will ever see me naked. That in itself is freedom. Mirrors could go too.
I am so grateful to have lived into an eighth decade. In fact I’m sort of proud of it. On the other hand I’m
not out to set any records. I do not fear dying. I do fear painful, debilitating illness or injury. So I will become more careful. I will check in regularly with my fabulous doctora, even by email!
I will always wish I’d get a chance to see my family and friends just one more time. Four kids, eleven grandkids and currently seven great grands. Thank goodness for social media! If any of them post pictures and stories I get to see them. Friends have visited me as well and if the current situation ever improves I think some will again.
What I really must learn is how much of what I want or like or even need is out of my control. There, I’ve said and I will continue to learn it. Old age is a gift. Accepting the facts about it is an ongoing lesson. Not fun, but necessary.
Yep. I think that's life's biggest lesson to us: honey, you're not in control of anything. Love you.
ReplyDeleteJust think of all the lives your life has touched. Yes, life is a gift and so my dear ... are you!
ReplyDelete